Saturday, April 3, 2010

Observance of Atthinga Sila, Uposatha Sila



Procedure of taking the Eight Precepts (Atthanga Sila) is the same formula of six steps in the Five Precepts (Panca Sila) except steps 3 and 6. As before in the Buddhist Five Precepts, the remaining steps are repeated. But, in asking for the Eight Precepts, step 3 and step 6 have to change in substituting the respective set of words as follows: 

3. Asking for the Eight Precepts
 
Ahaṁ bhante, tisaraṇena saha, aṭṭhaṅga samannāgatam uposatha Silaṁ, Dhammam yācāmi, anuggahaṁ katvā Sīlam detha, me bhante.

Dutiyampi, Ahaṁ bhante, tisaraṇena saha, aṭṭhaṅga samannāgatam uposatha Silaṁ, Dhammam yācāmi, anuggahaṁ katvā Sīlam detha, me bhante.

Tatiyampi, Ahaṁ bhante, tisaraṇena saha, aṭṭhaṅga samannāgatam uposatha Silaṁ, Dhammam yācāmi, anuggahaṁ katvā Sīlam detha, me bhante

 

Venerable sir, I ask you for the Eight Precepts together with the Three Refuges. Please have compassion for me and help the way to undertake the precepts.

For the second time, I ask you for the Eight Precepts together with the Three Refuges. Please have compassion for me and help the way to undertake the precepts.
 

For the third time, I ask you for the Eight Precepts together with the Three Refuges. Please have compassion for me and help the way to undertake the precepts.

Monk: Ya-mahaṁ vadāmi, taṁ vadetha. _ Repeat what I say
Devotee: Āma bhante. _ Yes, Venerable sir.
 
6. Vowing to observe the Eight Precepts

[1] Pāṇātipātā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṁ samādiyāmi.
[1] I observe the precept of abstaining from killing any living beings.
[2] Adinnādānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṁ samādiyāmi.
[2] I observe the precept of abstaining from taking what is not given.
[3] Abrahmacariyā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṁ samādiyāmi.
[3] I observe the precept of abstaining from sexual misconduct.
[4] Musāvāda veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṁ samādiyāmi.
[4] I observe the precept of abstaining from saying what is not true.
[5] Surā-meraya-majja-pamādaṭṭhana veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṁ samādiyāmi.
[5] I observe the precept of abstaining from taking any intoxicant or drug that causes forgetfulness.
[6] Vikāla bhojanā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṁ samādiyāmi.
[6] I observe the precept of abstaining from eating after noon.
[7] Nacca gīta vaditā visūkadassana mālāgandha vilepana dhārana maṇdana vibusanaṭṭhāna veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṁ samādiyāmi.
[7] I observe the precept of abstaining from dancing, singing, playing musical instruments, watching or listening to things which are not in accordance with the Buddha's teachings, decorating myself with flowers, and wearing fragrant lotions, powders, or perfumes.
[8] Uccāsayana mahāsayanā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṁ samādiyāmi.
[8] I observe the precept of abstaining from sleeping or staying on high, noble places.
 
Idaṁ me Silaṁ magga phala ñāṇassa paccayo hotu. 
May the precepts I keep be an aid for the attainment of magga and phala.
 
Monk: Appamādena sampādetha,” _ Accomplish the training without forgetfulness and negligence
Devotee: “Āma bhante.” _ Yes, Venerable Sir.

Buddham Pujemi, Dhammam Pujemi, Samgham Pujemi.

Posted by Nyan U

No comments:

Post a Comment